ASSESSMENT DESCRIPTION AND INSTRUCTIONS
Please write your thesis using the case vignette provided at the end of the document, as if it is your own counselling client. The assignment should have the following four labelled sections and content.
Section 1: Assessment
State what further information you think is important to obtain in order to construct a sound and helpful CBT(Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) formulation for the client, and indicate how you would obtain that information. Justify your planned assessments or methods of conducting them, using references as needed or useful.
This section should be written like a traditional assignment (i.e., complete sentences with appropriate use of paragraphs). The assessment should include the five elements of CBT model: environment, thinking (automated thoughts, intermediate thoughts and core belief), emotion, physical symptoms and behaviours.)
Section 2. Case formulation
Present a CBT formulation that you have developed for your client. This should include all ‘elements’ or ‘facets’ of a CBT formulation. This formulation should be based on the information provided to you in the vignette, plus information you might have got from the client if you had conducted the assessment described in section 1. Your formulation can be given in diagrams and associated text, something similar to below example:
Section 3. Goals and treatment plan
(a) State possible CBT treatment goals that you might establish with your client.
(b) Set out a CBT treatment plan for the client. Justify/provide support for your plan throughout (which will include the use of references).
· Present your treatment plan (and goals) as what you would ideally like to do and accomplish over the course of your counselling sessions with your client. We want to see that you are able to construct a plan that may be able to be carried out in its entirety.
· Present your plan in terms of the general order/sequence you would follow over the course of your counselling sessions.
· You are encouraged to present this section in whatever format you consider most appropriate. You might elect to use any one or more of the following: a table, dot points, or traditional text (sentences). If using dot points, make sure that your meaning remains clear.
An example of goals and treatment plan as reference:
Section 4. Alternative formulation and intervention
(a) With the assistance of references, explain how ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), instead of CBT would conceptualise the client’s problems. You should focus not so much on the nature of the client’s problems (i.e., describing them), but how/why the client is having them (explaining them). It will, however, be necessary at times for your formulation to have a descriptive component in the course of providing the explanatory component. This part should be formatted as for section 2 with diagram.
(b) Describe specific ACT interventions that you think would be most helpful to help your client, and explain how they might be applied to your client. Use references to make a case for your choices. This part should be written more like a discussion.
List the references you have used in your assignment in APA format (current edition).
· Section 2 is the only section where references are not needed.
· You are expected to consult and cite scholarly literature in producing your assignment (e.g., reputable texts, published peer-reviewed journal articles). At least 5-7 references are required.
* Word limit
· 3000~4000 words but no more than 4000. The word limit does not include words used within diagrams, or reference part.
* CRITERIA FOR MARKING
Students will be evaluated on the criteria below, using the grades of Not Satisfactory, Pass, Credit, Distinction, and High Distinction:
1. Choice/selection of assessments and their rationale (section 1)
2. Scope, detail, and cogency of the CBT formulation (section 2).
3. Appropriateness of treatment goals (section 3a); Rationale for, and suitability of, plan (section 3b).
4. Understanding and application of ACT to formulation and intervention (section 4).
5. Expression, presentation, APA formatting, and reasoning/critical thinking Case Vignette: